It’s not common practice… yet. However, customizing your Facebook fan page will become important if not essential. If you have a fan page and are keeping it up, creating a landing page is the next step. This tutorial will walk you through how to create a landing page on your Facebook fan page.
The first thing you’ll need to do is add the static FBML app to your fan page.
GETTING THE APP
- Visit the FBML Fan page
- Click “Add to My Page”
- “Add Static FBML to your Page” pop-up will appear
- Select which Page you wish to add Static FBML to
Next, you’ll need to set up the app to work on your page.
SETTING UP THE APP
- Visit the Fan Page you plan on optimizing with your custom Splash Page.
- Under your Fan Page’s custom profile image click on “FBML”
- A new, relatively blank page will open, click “Edit Info”
- On the left sidebar click “Apps”
- Find the FBML App in the list
- Click “Go to App”
The next step demands you know basic HTML. If you don’t know HTML find a qualified professional who can write the code. Also, make sure your design is consistent with your current website and your message. A graphic designer will be useful for this step as well.
EDITTING AND ADDING THE CONTENT
- Enter Box Title: This is what will show on the sidebar under your custom profile image.
- FBML “the body” this is where you’ll enter the HTML for your page. Keep the width to a strict 520px wide. The height isn’t as important, it’s up to your preference.
- You must host all images on a third party website. A few examples would be: your website (your host), Flickr, PhotoBucket, etc.
You’re not done yet. At this point the only way to see the page is to click on a link under the custom profile image. You need to make it the landing page when a new visitor visits your Facebook fan page.
ENABLING THE DEFAULT LANDING PAGE
- On your Fan Page click on the “Edit Page” button in the top right hand corner.
- At the “Default Landing Tab dropdown” select the “Box Title” you created and want to use as the landing page.
- Click “Save Changes”
At the time of this post the landing page is only available as a default when the visitor is not yet a fan. So, new visitors to your Facebook page will see your landing page first. If someone is a fan already they’ll have to click the link under your custom profile image to see the custom page.
Here’s an example of what a finished product looks like.